Friday, January 10, 2014

Remembering Injuries, Dressing for the Weather, and Spin Bikes

This morning I was awake for almost half an hour before I realized that my Achilles was still feeling good! It's funny because, for like a week after it started feeling better, I would be happily surprised every time I got up that it didn't hurt! And now it's just no big thing. It's crazy how fast we forget things like that! I really want to make sure and remember how blessed I am to be healthy and able to run, and how hard it was when I couldn't. How can we remember these things? I guess I must add that to the list of things to work on. :)

I got a comment yesterday about how cold it must be walking over to the gym in the morning. 

Actually it's not too bad because I bundle up really well! 

In fact, last time I went in, the guy at the front desk said, "Good girl, a winter coat!" He said he can't believe what he sees people wearing into the gym in this weather. He says he sees people in sandals and people coming in with even just in their swimsuits! It's freezing outside, why would you do that to yourself!? 

There is an expression: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."

That is so true, and I have learned that life is so much more enjoyable when you dress appropriately for the weather! 

Here's what I wear when I walk to the gym:


I also wear pants over my shorts, and I have been just wearing my running shoes which has been ok. Since today I knew I was going to wear my cycling shoes, I just put those into a backpack with my towel and water bottle, and wore my nice cozy boots. The backpack also helped keep my hands a little warmer because they weren't carrying anything.


By the time I got to the gym this morning, I was feeling nice and toasty!

Spin class was good, it was taught by Ellen who is new to me. It was a hard class. She did have us do some arms for about 5 minutes in the middle, but we stayed on the bike so I didn't feel silly for wearing my bike shoes like the first class I tried here. Yay! I did have a hard time with the fit of my bike today. I could not loosen the handle bars to move them farther forward because it was too tight, so that was kind of annoying. I didn't know if moving to another bike would be any better so I just stuck it out, but it made me wonder if it's worth it to go to spin class where your bike fit is probably never going to be perfect. 

I decided that, to me, it is because I have little to no motivation for getting on my trainer and working out by myself. It's just easier and more fun for me to go to the gym and take these spin classes. I will have plenty of time before my race to ride my bike with the awesome fit when it gets warmer and lighter outside and the roads are clear. 

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment