Friday, January 31, 2014

The Relativness of it All

Quck catch up since I last posted:

I ran for 50 minutes, and did not count laps, with my friend on the indoor track on Saturday. Phew, that's hard!


Sunday, we had a late start and only got up to Snowbasin with enough time to do 2 runs on the bunny hill with the kids. It was good, though. A nice little trip.

Monday I went to spin class, wahoo!!

Tuesday the air was all cleared up and it was sunny and beautiful so I went for a run outside in the afternoon! It was so great. Running outside totally makes my day! (especially when I can finish with at least a 10 min/mile pace!)


Wednesday I took a rest day and actually went to the doctor because I've been having a lot of stomach aches lately, usually after I eat. Basically, he didn't know what was going on, but he doesn't think it's anything serious. Maybe I'm sick or maybe my stomach is just irritated. Who knows. That's why I LOVE going to the doctor. For the most part I feel fine, and if I do get a bad stomach ache, it usually goes away in a few hours so I haven't missed too many workouts.

It did make me break my record for working out every day of the year so far though! Darn it!

Thursday I had a nice slushy walk to the gym where I ran on the track for 2 miles (yes, I actually counted this time) then jumped on the treadmill for the last mile. I was holding on for dear life, but I managed to do it in 9:25! I did the 3 total miles in just about exactly 30 minutes, and that was counting a few water breaks.



After taking the kids to school, I took George to the daycare and got in a pretty good swim! I need to fit swimming in more, I always love it! I made up my own workout this time and it kind of went 3, 2 1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1.

I did my first 100 in 1:27 which would have made me ecstatic last year, but since then I've done a 1:25 so I found myself thinking, "oh man, only 1:27." It's crazy how relative a good time is!

Before my next 100, I did 200 yards really easy so I was nice and rested. Then I happened to push off when the guy next to me was half-way down his lane so of course I told myself that I had to pass him, which I did on the way back on the first lap! I think that helped me a LOT with pushing myself. I finished that one in 1:25!! YAY!!

I wanted to just lay down on the deck after that, I felt like I was going to die, but for some reason I thought I should try it again when I wasn't so rested so I did another one.

This time I finished in 1:30. Booo!

Hahaha, 1:30 used to be amazing for me!

It just made me think about how we need to be really careful when we look at our speed. I really try not to compare myself to people who are faster than me. They are in a totally different class. But, I think compared to your average person, I'm probably a pretty decent swimmer. Like I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Yeah, 1:25, that's OK." Some of you are probably thinking, "Wow, 1:25? That's amazing!" (I flatter myself) And I know to some of you 1:25 means absolutely nothing! It's so funny.

So my point is, that the only person you should really compare your times to is yourself. And even then you have to be careful because you're not always going to have the same fitness in everything all the time. Someone once told me something like, "You're not going to get faster every single time you do something. Imagine how fast people would be if that happened!"

That's my little tip for the day. :)

Today is the last day of the month and I made it to spin class even though I did not want to when I first woke up! I actually had to drive because it took me so long to get out of bed and I didn't want to be late. Of course, I loved it once I got there, and it was a great workout.

As it is the last day of the month, I thought I'd post my training log for you. (If you click on it, it gets bigger) I'm sure I missed a few things, but you get the picture. The ones that say "other" are usually Nike Training Club, a walk or snowboarding. I was so close to getting at least 15 minutes of some kind of workout in every day this month!


Here we go February!

No comments:

Post a Comment